Saturday, January 28, 2012

What I'm A-Doing in Havana, a brief explanation written at 1 am the night before I leave

So while I'm in Cuba I intend to write the script for a multimedia documentary theater play about Cubans whose livelihoods depend on the tourist industry and then eventually stage it. I'm gonna film and tape-record interviews with Cubans (bartenders, cab drivers, jineter@s etc.) about their experiences working with tourists and then use the transcripts of these interviews as the basis for my script. I'm using this play as a vehicle to seriously interrogate the relationship between privileged foreign bodies and the Cubans who cater to them, and how these interactions re/create Havanan identity.

This blog is here to chronicle my various successes and failures along the way. I'll try to be good about posting and try to be better at posting more comprehensive things in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment